I thought I'd announce this great little promotion. This coming Saturday, January 11th, the Bakersfield Condors ECHL hockey club is holding a Dodgers vs. Giants Micro Pillow Pet Giveaway. The first 2,000 children, 12 and under, will receive their choice of a Dodgers or Giants Pillow Pet. The team that runs out first will be declared the city favorite!! Go here for information. A big Hat Tip to Jose for letting me know about it.
- Via Bill Shaikin at the LA Times, "Dodgers adding bullpen lookouts to stadium".
The lookouts are the focal point of a modest Dodger Stadium expansion beyond the foul poles in left and right fields. The Dodgers would like those spaces to develop into gathering areas for fans, with concession stands to be added there and the merchandise tents to be replaced by permanent team stores.
Since Dodger Stadium opened in 1962, fans seated in the pavilions have been restricted to that area. The new gathering areas will be accessible to fans seated in the pavilions as well as to those entering from the field level.
- The Dodgers 7th Annual Winter Development Program began this past Sunday. 15 of the Dodgers' top prospects will be in LA for seminars and workouts to focus on fundamentals, strength training and conditioning. They will also spend some time familiarizing themselves with the city. Among those in attendance will be Zach Lee, Scott Schebler, Joc Pederson, Seth Rosin, Pedro Baez, Yimi Garcia, Jarrett Martin, etc. This event is not open to the public.
- Ross Gasmer at Dodger Nation notes that Brian Wilson recently tweeted a photo of himself checking out the Sydney Cricket Grounds this past weekend. The Dodgers and Diamondbacks will be playing a couple of games there to start the season.
- Via Bryan Hoch at MLB.com, "Mattingly doesn't expect Hall to call on 14th try".
- Ken Levine eulogizes Jerry Coleman. The former Yankee and Padres broadcaster recently passed away. RIP, Jerry Coleman.
- Vin Scully had this to say about Jerry Coleman, via the Dodgers tumblr.
“We were much richer for having known him. He had a wonderful and full life as a major league player, a war hero and a Hall of Fame broadcaster. He was a sweet good natured and happy soul and he will be sorely missed. Our sympathies are extended to his family and all the many wonderful friends that he had.”
- Via Eric Stephen at True Blue LA, "2014 salary arbitration preview: A.J. Ellis".
- The Sons of Steve Garvey shares even more photos from the work currently being done at Dodger Stadium.
* Please follow on twitter @ernestreyes *
* Like Dodgers Blue Heaven on facebook *
* Dodgers Blue Heaven home page *