JP Hoornstra at Inside the Dodgers has the police dash cam video of Yasiel Puig's recent arrest in Florida. I gotta say, his speeding didn't seem all that reckless. It was a long straight away and it doesn't appear there was any swerving. Frankly, it looked like everybody on that road was speeding and Puig was just the unlucky ducky. Oh... And Puig likes to wear hot pink shorts. What's up with that?
BTW, every time I've visited Florida I always took note of the rampant speeding on their highways. I remember constantly going 80+ MPH in the slow lane while being passed on the left by a 80+ year old snow bird in a Cadillac. Now, I'm not advocating that you should go 100+ MPH, but I swear, it was a constant occurrence in Florida.
Roberto at Vin Scully is My Homeboy interprets the conversation between Puig and the officer, here.
- Via Chris Moran at Beyond the Boxscore, "2013, when Hanley Ramirez was the best player in baseball".
Hanley Ramirez was Miguel Cabrera in 2013. That is, if Cabrera was a decent shortstop instead of the worst fielding third baseman in baseball. Ramirez was Mike Trout if the Millville Meteor traded some of his baserunning and on-base skills for a whole lot more power production.
- The 2013 Bowman Chrome autographed Superfractor of Yasiel Puig is on eBay once again. See the auction here. It has a Buy It Now price of $34,999.99. Hat Tip: Cardboard Connection.
- Evan Kendall at Beyond the Boxscore takes a close look at how great Russell Martin really was last season - "Russell Martin and defending catcher WAR". This just adds more evidence that a great defensive catcher (even one who hit only in the .220's) can lead your team to the playoffs. AJ Ellis naysayers should pay attention!
- Via Ramona Shelburne at ESPN, "Don Mattingly to Get New Deal". The Dodgers and Mattingly have agreed to an extension that goes through the 2016 season. Congrats, Don!
- Via Chris Haft at MLB.com, "Kent's relentless approach up for Hall consideration".
"I took that even beyond, to, if I do just one thing every day for my entire career, then I'm going to have a pretty good career," he said in a recent interview.
- Via Mark Langill at Dodger Insider, "Flashback 30 years: Don Drysdale gets the call".
- Check out a bunch of pics from Jon SooHoo of some young future Dodger stars at the Winter Development Program at Dodger Stadium, here.
- OT: Observe History tells us about German martyr Sophie Scholl. It's a story about a Munich university student who stood up against the Nazi's and was killed for it. I often wonder if I would have the strength and will to do the same thing. I'd like to think I would - even knowing that I'd be staring straight at death.
"How can we expect righteousness to prevail when there is hardly anyone willing to offer themselves up individually for a righteous cause?
Such a fine, sunny day, and I have to go."
* Please follow on twitter @ernestreyes *
* Like Dodgers Blue Heaven on facebook *
* Dodgers Blue Heaven home page *