Clayton Kershaw is seen warming up for his start yesterday against Kansas City in the photo below, pic via @Dodgers on twitter. He didn't have a Vander Meer moment, but he was masterful in the 8 innings he pitched. Kershaw struck out 8, gave up 6 hits and walked only 1; as the Dodgers won 2 to 0. With the Giants losing to the Padres last night, the Dodgers now find themselves only 3 games back.
- ICYMI: Last night I posted up scans of my recently completed 1962 Union Oil Dodgers Player Portraits set. Check out that post here.
- Via Jon Heyman at CSB Sports, "With Dodgers prospect's ear saved, he will resume playing soon."
Alexander Guerrero, the victim in a ugly ear-biting incident with his former minor-league teammate, will not lose his ear after surgery and some anxious times and is close to resuming his Dodgers career, Guerrero's agent Scott Boras said.
"The ear is going to make it," Boras told CBSSports.com by phone. "The surgery was a success, and he won't need another surgery."
- Congrats! I can't wait to see these two kids at Dodger Stadium a couple of years down the road. Via Ron Cervenka at Think Blue LA, "Seager and Urias named to 2014 Futures Game."
- Nooooooo! Joc Pederson has apparently hurt his shoulder, via Danny Wild at MiLB.com. I wonder if this will have any bearing on any potential Dodger moves to trade an outfielder. After all, it's likely Joc would have been called up if we ever did trade somebody. Mark Saxon at ESPNLosAngeles.com shares a quote from Mattingly:
“It didn’t sound like it was anything major, but it would be hard for [Conte] to really say. I’m assuming he didn’t break his arm or tear his shoulder out of the socket,” Mattingly said. “I guess you have to watch out when you get a guy like Joc, but it didn’t sound like it was a major, major thing.”
- Can this man every stay healthy? Via Craig Minami at True Blue LA, "Hanley Ramirez removed from lineup due to shoulder irritation." I just do not know if it makes much sense for the Dodgers to sign him to a large long-term contract considering his recent history. On the other hand, I do admire his apparent willingness to battle and play.
On Ramirez's shoulder pain, Mattingly said "no true injury, more the shoulder thing, felt it a little bit in San Diego." Mattingly added that why they made the decision to take Ramirez out of tonight's lineup was because "[Ramirez] felt a little bit swinging yesterday and [Ramirez] had never not felt that all [before]."
- Look who visited the Negro League Baseball Museum yesterday:
Group from the @dodgers, led by manager Don Mattingly, joined me for a guided tour of the NLBM today! #nlbm pic.twitter.com/BJkg51JI0x
— negroleaguesmuseum (@nlbmprez) June 25, 2014
- No Way... Via Rich Mueller at Sports Collectors Daily, "Movie Rights to Operation Bullpen Purchased."
“This story is a cross between ‘The Wolf of Wall Street’ and ‘American Hustle,’” said Werner, referring to the Operation Bullpen saga in which a dysfunctional family of con artists, led by a conniving grandma and her pot-smoking son, fooled the FBI for years and ripped off a gullible American public for a cool $100 million. “It’s a great story. It’s very cinematic with broad appeal.”
- Via Aaron Mansfield at The Buffalo News, "(Grant) ‘Home Run’ Johnson gets plaque at forgotten grave in Hamburg." Johnson is one of the great relatively unknown Negro League legends.
- Wow! During both Stanley Cup Championships Kings goalie Jonathan Quick was battling a serious injury. In 2012 it was a painful back issue that resulted in surgery. Now, we find out that he just had emergency wrist surgery from an injury he originally sustained during the series with the Ducks. Greg Wyshynski at Puck Daddy has the story. BTW, we also know that Kings centerman Jarret Stoll had a serious limp during the teams recent visit to Dodger Stadium. I only mention these items because I always find it fascinating what ailments hockey players play through during the playoffs.
* Please follow on twitter @ernestreyes *
* Like Dodgers Blue Heaven on facebook *
* Dodgers Blue Heaven home page *