This past Saturday Tommy Lasorda visited CSUN to sign some books, meet with fans and provide an inspiring speech to the youthful ballplayers in that college program. As evidenced in the photo above, he gave a rousing pep talk to the attentive students athletes prior to that afternoons game. Photo above via CSUN Athletics.
During the pregame ceremony CSUN Head Baseball Coach Greg Moore, Director of Intercollegiate Athletics Dr. Brandon Martin, President Dr. Dianne Harrison and Matty the Matador presented Lasorda with his very own Matador uniform. Photo below via BHEPhotos.
Below are some links to check out:
- To the surprise of no one, Adrian Gonzalez was named the National League Player of the Week for the week ending April 12th. Congrats! Per a press release:
The veteran slugger, who led baseball with 116 RBI in 2014, opened the 2015 campaign on a torrid pace, leading the Majors with five home runs, 14 hits, 32 total bases and a .609 batting average (14-for-23) in six games last week. Gonzalez also posted the top slugging (1.391) and on-base percentages (.667) in the Majors and led the NL with eight runs scored, while tying for fourth among National Leaguers with seven RBI.
- What a bunch of petty little babies. Via Andrew Joseph at AZ Central, "Dodgers fan is asked to wear Diamondbacks jersey." They've got video to prove it.
We have heard stories in the past about the Diamondbacks asking opposing fans to wear D-Backs colors while sitting in the premium seats behind home plate or agree to change seats. The policy has come under scrutiny, and during Sunday's game against the Dodgers, it evidently happened again.
- Via Bill Plunkett at the OC Register, "Dodgers catcher Grandal defends questionable defensive reputation behind the plate."
“That’s the way it’s been ever since I was in high school,” the Dodgers catcher said. “I’ve been dealing with this for a long time. It hasn’t been just the past couple years.”
- What the heck! Via Eric Stephen at True Blue LA, "Ryan Webb released by Dodgers, who bought draft pick for $2.7 million." He then immediately signed a minor league deal with the Indians, via Jeff Todd at MLB Trade Rumors.
- Via Eric Stephen at True Blue LA, "Dodgers proceeding with caution with Hyun-jin Ryu rehab."
"The first week was really trying to be careful with him, and just amp up from there," manager Don Mattingly said on Monday. "We're trying to be cautious, make sure he give himself the us best chance to be healthy when he gets back. The MRIs and reports have not shown anything different than when we first signed him. We're fairly comfortable that it's inflammation and we have to get that out of there. The first time when he took two or three days off before throwing, that wasn't enough."
- Here is something fun. Via Michael Baumann at Grantland, "The Man From Mildon: Remembering the Year the Dodgers’ Adrian Gonzalez Broke Baseball." It's an excerpt from a future edition of Ken Burns' Baseball that will be released in 2021.
NARRATOR: Gonzalez continued to hit: 22 home runs in June, 18 more in July. He ended the season with a .662 batting average, 114 home runs, 450 hits, 319 runs scored, and 388 runs batted in, all major league records. The Dodgers won the division by 21 games.
* Please follow on twitter @ernestreyes *
* Like Dodgers Blue Heaven on facebook *
* Dodgers Blue Heaven home page *