Alex Wood had a very good start with the Dodgers yesterday evening, and if not for a 7th inning snafu we might be focused on only that. Unfortunately, the balk happened. Then, the wheels fell off the Dodgers wagon. Not that it's Wood's fault. He pitched great. It's just that his balk lead to an unfortunate outcome.
If you haven't seen Wood's pitch (Come on, really? It's only become the web's most recent sensation) check it out here at Cut 4. As you can see, during mid-windup the ball slipped out of his hand and headed towards first base. That put runners on second and third base. The batter then walked to load the bases for Maikel Franco; who proceeded to hit a grand slam. A game that was once tied at one was now a 5-1 Phillies advantage. Via Ken Gurnick at MLB.com:
"It's been a weird eight days, for sure," said Wood, who also singled in his first at-bat. "I put us in a bad situation in the seventh, they ended up capitalizing. That's not the way I envisioned the first one going."A game that looked like it would be remembered as an outstanding beginning for the former Braves pitcher would now become an viral internet sensation.
The pic above is via @SportsNetLA on twitter. Below are some links to check out:
- Via Ken Gurnick at MLB.com, "Dodgers sticking with Pederson despite slump."
"I think really now is not the time to start messing with the club and getting away from playing great defense in the middle of the field," he said. "Right now we have Joc sitting in the eight-hole, where there's really no pressure. We're not asking for a lot of offense. Really, there's been no talk of anything different."
- They still love Jimmy Rollins in Philly. Via Ryan Lawrence at Philly.com:
"It was cool," said Rollins, who had to step out and raise his helmet a second time. "It was greatly appreciated. It went longer than I thought . I came out, they clapped, I nodded and got back in the box. And they just kept going. I was like,'Geez, we do have a game to play.' But it was a great moment for them to show their appreciation. I'm glad it was that way."
- Walker Buehler, the Dodgers 2016 1st round draft pick, has an inauspicious start to his Dodger career, via a tweet from Dodger broadcaster Alanna Rizzo.
1st round selection, Walker Buehler, will undergo Tommy John surgery tomorrow. His expected return is 12-18 months. #Dodgers— Alanna Rizzo (@alannarizzo) August 4, 2015
- JP Hoornstra at Inside the Dodgers shares a quote from Farhan Zaidi regarding Buehler and his surgery:
“As far as signing him, we still think he is one of the top pitching talents in the draft,” Zaidi said. “We have the luxury of being able to play the long game. Even if it puts him a year behind, we think when he comes back he’s going to justify where we selected him. Obviously we signed him for a reduced number that allowed us to do some other things in the draft.”
- Via George Vrechek at Sports Collectors Digest, "Former Employee Butch Jacobs Explains How Topps Picked the Pictures."
* Please follow on twitter @ernestreyes *
* Like Dodgers Blue Heaven on facebook *
* Dodgers Blue Heaven home page *