Minor League coach Luis Matos, pitching prospect Jose De Leon and the great Fernando Valenzuela are featured in the above photograph originally taken by Jon SooHoo/LA Dodgers 2016. Go here to check out more pics taken by Jon from yesterday's spring workout.
Below are more links to check out:
- Check this new, new to me that is, Dodgers fan blog I ran into yesterday called, "Behind Enemy Lines." It's written by a fan who names herself "SoCal Sports Chick," and she is currently enjoying Spring Training with the Dodgers in Glendale. Check out her wonderfully fan-biased reportsfrom Arizona here.
- And here is Night Owl Cards awesomely-biased 2016 preseason team rankings.
- TMZ provides more details about the John Ravin car accident, here. They even have several photos of the broken left (non-pitching) arm.
- David Hood at True Blue LA tell us all about Dodgers pitching prospect Grant Holmes.
Holmes’ 80-grade ceiling is built on the foundation of two plus to double-plus pitches, his curveball and fastball. Holmes has not grown into his eventual velocity, so while reports suggest he sat more comfortably 92-96 mph, he has reached 98 mph in the past and has the frame to hold velocity deep into games across a long season. Beyond velocity, Holmes might have the most electric movement on his fastball in the system. Holmes’ fastball has heavy sink at the lower ranges of his velocity, but keeps plus riding life at the top end as well. The pitch is extremely tough for hitters to square and helped suppress home runs in his first full season (just six in 103 innings).
- Yaisel Sierra finally got to pitch in Glendale yesterday, and he is tickled pink. Via Doug Padilla at ESPN, "'Beautiful feeling' as Yaisel Sierra throws in Dodgers camp."
"I’m ready for my job," Sierra said. "Whatever it is, that is up to the manager and the coaches on my team, but basically I’m ready for the task at hand here, whether it’s being there for my teammates in the dugout, or whatever role they decide to put me in. I’m here to help."
Apparently, the Dodgers want to eventually transform him into a starter, but will have him pitch relief to get him into the show faster.
- Following on the heels of the Aroldis Chapam suspension we get word, via an ESPN story, that you shouldn't expect similar treatment to be handed out to Yasiel Puig. He is not likely to be suspended for that little incident over the winter.
- Rich Mueller at Sports Collectors Daily shares some preview pics from a brand new Topps card brand called "The Mint;" including pics of the Corey Seager autographed card on the right. This set is slated to go live in August.
- Tom Bartsch at Sports Collectos Digest tells us about a newly found treasure trove of Ty Cobb personnal effects; including family photos and letters.
- Panini's 2016 Donruss Baseball card set officially comes out today, so here are a few Dodgers preview pics from the set; via Panini's blog. Go here to check out more photos. I hope to have pics of all the Dodgers cards next week.
* Please follow on twitter @ernestreyes *
* Like Dodgers Blue Heaven on facebook *
* Dodgers Blue Heaven home page *