Former Dodger Brad Ausmus came into town as the Detroit Tigers rookie manager. He stands with Don Mattingly, no doubt an inspiration, in the photo baove. PIc via Jon SooHoo/LA Dodgers 2014.
- Mike Petriello at Dodgers Digest writes, "Here’s How A.J. Ellis Got Injured."
- Via Timothy Burke at Deadspin, "Vin Scully Even Makes Stories About Crack Pipes Endearing." Video is included.
So here is your opportunity to hear Vin Scully say, "What do you call it.. a crack pipe? I guess that's what you call it."
- Listen to Steve Garvey on the Petros and Money Show talk about his Dodger bat boy days, here.
- Via JP Hoornstra at Inside the Dodgers, "Dodgers pitcher Clayton Kershaw throws pain-free from 75 feet."
- Steve Dilbeck at the LA Times writes, "Oh, the pain: Dodgers unveil their non-mascot mascot." I agree. That thing is not only horrendous, it's what my nightmares are all about. The photo below is via Scott Killeen on twitter.
“It’s not a mascot,” said Dodgers executive vice president of marketing Lon Rosen. “It’s a unique performance character.”
See, that’s what’s great about being a marketing wiz, you can just make stuff up. Rosen also called it a “bobblehead character,” so you can see he’s really trying hard.
- AJ Ellis is sittin' pretty at home after his surgery yesterday; as evidenced by the below photo tweeted by his wife. By all accounts it was a successful surgery. It'll be 4 to 6 weeks before he is back.
Surgery went great and this little nurse is helping @AJEllis17 eat his crackers;) pic.twitter.com/YsCzUwj45b
— Cindy Ellis (@Cindyluellis) April 8, 2014
- Via Tim Marchman at Deadspin, "Yasiel Puig Isn't Perfect, But He's Everything Great About Baseball."
These are baseball problems, though. They aren't the makings of a morality play. Puig's flaws, insofar as they're wired in, are basically like an inability to hit backdoor sliders or field hard grounders to the right, and much less serious because they just don't count for all that much. It takes a particular kind of joylessness to fixate on them above everything else about him, because whatever the abstract idea of Puig is, the actual player is special.
- David's Autograph Signing writes about getting Raul Mondesi's autograph at Viva Los Dodgers on Sunday.
- Via Earl Bloom at MLB.com, "Billingsley OK; scary pop was only scar tissue."
"It was just scar tissue breaking, like cracking your neck," he said. "It didn't hurt when it happened, it didn't hurt after it. It didn't feel like pain I had in previous injuries."
* Please follow on twitter @ernestreyes *
* Like Dodgers Blue Heaven on facebook *
* Dodgers Blue Heaven home page *