The best vintage press photos are not always action shots of your favorite player. Oftentimes, it's these quirky little stories that really make you smile. Case in point, check out the July 13, 1954 Associated Press photo above that I ran into on eBay. It features Carl Furillo with a 13-year old Brooklyn Dodger fan named Danny Gawronski. At first glance, you might think that his presence on the field with the Dodger icon is of little significance. Instead, he's the subject of some local controversy that will no doubt make you laugh. Check out what it says on the descriptor attached to the reverse:
"SOMETHING TO CROW ABOUT AFTER ALL. Danny Gawronski, 13, is as close to heaven as a Brooklyn boy can be, as Carl Furillo of his beloved Dodgers shows him how to use outfielder's glove, a present from the team, during workout at Ebbets Field today. It all started last April when Danny was given some Easter chicks which grew up into noisy roosters and complaints from neighbors which took Danny before a magistrate. Danny offered $3 in pennies, nickels and dimes he had saved toward a new baseball glove in way of a fine. Magistrate Charles Murphy dismissed complaint and the Dodgers did the rest."Now this is a Dodgers good deed I can get behind. Below are more links to check out:
- Via Rachel L. Swarns, Darcy Eveleigh and Damien Cave at the NY Times, "Unpublished Black History." They explore a 1949 photograph featuring Jackie Robinson giving a lecture to some local college kids and they want to know why.
- ICYMI: The Howie Kendrick signing was made official yesterday, per a Dodgers press release.
The Los Angeles Dodgers today announced the signing of infielder Howie Kendrick to a two-year contract.
- Via Eric Stephen at True Blue LA, "Howie Kendrick contract includes $10 million in deferred money."
- Larry King penned a story for Big League Stew, "Homer History: The shot heard 'round Larry King's world."
I had to take the subway home. I lived on Bay Parkway in Brooklyn. It was an elevated station. We had only one Giants fan in our neighborhood. His name was Davey Freed. I got off the train and as I’m walking down the stairs, Davey Freed is at the bottom of the stairs. All he did was laugh. He just laughed.
- Blowout Buzz shares some preview pics of Panini's 2016 Diamond Kings Baseball cards; including the Corey Seager card on the right. This set officially comes out on March 30th.
- Via Bob Nightengale at USA Today, "Dodgers' Howie Kendrick on MLB free agent system: 'It's hurting everybody'".
“I figured there would be quite a few suitors for me, and nobody was really calling. Here it is, getting close to spring training, and you keep hearing the same thing over and over.
“Nobody wanted to give up that draft pick. It was a shocker.’’
- Listen to Dodgers general manager Farhan Zaidi with Chris Russo on High Heat to talk about the team's 2016 roster and goals, here.
- David Hood at True Blue LA provides his prospect report on Austin Barnes, here.
* Please follow on twitter @ernestreyes *
* Like Dodgers Blue Heaven on facebook *
* Dodgers Blue Heaven home page *