I was planning on saying a few words about last nights game but got distracted when I came across a a particular news article came out featuring the words and comments from the friends and colleagues of Vin Scully. Per Jayson Starks article at ESPN: From AJ Ellis:
"You can catch him (in the clubhouse) on Sunday mornings on the way to Mass. He comes in and gets coffee. (One Sunday,) Brandon (McCarthy) and I are the only two guys in the clubhouse. And Vin comes in and starts chatting. ... And all of a sudden his phone rings, and he says, 'Sorry, boys, excuse me.' He's always so polite. So he says, 'Yes, dear. Oh thank you for reminding me. Yes, dear.' (Then he says,) 'Gentlemen, if you would excuse me, today is one of my grandchildren's birthdays. We have a tradition in our family that I have to sing to her.' And he steps into the players' bathroom and you can hear him singing 'Happy Birthday' over the phone to his grandchild. Me and Brandon are looking at each other like, OK, this is unbelievable. Here's Vin Scully in his great baritone voice, singing 'Happy Birthday' as it echoes through the bathroom of the clubhouse."It's hard to remember, since I've heard countless Scully stories over the years, but the one above might be my favorite of all time. Thanks for sharing that AJ. BTW, you should definitely check out the rest of Stark's article. There are several more great comments. Oh... And the Dodgers lost a close on to the Giants last night, 2-0. Photo above via Jon SooHoo/LA Dodgers 2016. Go here to check out more great pics by Jon and Jill Weisleder from yesterdays game. Below are more links to check out:
- This Day in Dodgers History: In 1934 the Dodgers were no-hit by Paul "Daffy" Dean of the Cardinals, 3-0. His brother, Hall of Famer Dizzy Dean, pitched the first game of that days doubleheader, and kept the Dodgers hitless for eight innings. Overall, the two brothers threw an 18-inning two-hit shutout against Brooklyn that day.
- Via Ron Cervenka at Think Blue LA; "Don Newcombe shares fond memories of Vin Scully."
“I’ve known him all these years now, since 1950 I met Vinny. I started with him when he was a young rookie,” Newcombe recalled fondly. “He didn’t have a car as a young guy. I used to drive him to the airport in New Jersey and drop him at the train station so he could get the train to go see his mom in New Jersey where I lived, I lived in New Jersey. So I would take him to the airport over to the train station with me and we got a lot of chance to talk. Vin was always a gentleman and always a first class guy, and that’s what I care most about him. He’s such a classy guy.”
- Via Tom Hoffarth at Farther Off the Wall; "Vin Scully memories from the media: Derrick Hall."
“My first meeting with Vin was one I will never forget because I grew up idolizing him and now here we were together in the press box. I was amazed at the eye contact, the genuineness and humility. I remember saying, ‘Vin, you are my only employee who could fire me if you wanted to.’ He laughed and said,'”I don’t think we’ll ever have to cross that bridge.’ I also remember calling my parents right after because I was still on cloud nine.
- Ross Yoshida of the Dodgers shares their Vin Scully commemorative logo on twitter, here. See it on the right.
- Via Craig Calcaterra at NBC Sports; "Vin Scully to take an inning of the Giants broadcast during his final game."
- Via Eric Stephen at True Blue LA; "Brett Anderson to start Thursday for Dodgers."
"Anderson is built up. His last start was good,” Roberts said on Monday. “I know that Brett is open to whatever we ask of him."
- Ha-Ha! Via Doug Padilla at ESPN; "Yasiel Puig gifts Madison Bumgarner signed '#DONTLOOKATME' T-shirt." Photo below via Marly Rivera on twitter:
- Just because I like to pile it on. Via Grant Brisbee at McCovey Chronicles; "The Giants are collapsing in a way that baseball has never seen."
- Cecil Cooperstown shares a fun drawing of an Ramon Martinez Upper Deck Baseball card here.
- Cary Osborne at Dodger Insider shares a long list of Corey Seager accomplishments this season. Check that out here.
* Please follow on twitter @ernestreyes *
* Like Dodgers Blue Heaven on facebook *
* Dodgers Blue Heaven home page *